It has to be said that wooden boats pumping bilge water is as natural as peeing is to mammals,- the first boat which I owned was a 33' clinker-built half-decker called An Cnoc Mór, and my final season salmon fishing in her, off Donegal in the '70s, was an unforgetable battle with leaks, with nets that the fish could easily see in calm weather, frequently causing us to head west in the evening against the weather, from Teelin to Malin Mor or Glen Head. One had to fish at night. When I came back to the boat after going home tin the daytime to get some sleep, the question was whether the electric pump had kept up, or would the water be up over and into the gear box?
A line was crossed in the Anna M one night in the Bay of Biscay, hard on a fresh to strong SW wind. It was in the autumn of 2002. I was awoken in my bunk by a loud thump and jolt as the boat hit either a bad wave or something more solid. After a while I could hear the bilge water sloshing around,- the electric pump was not coping. The hand pump was in a very awkward place under the cockpit (a mistake that I have taken care to avoid in the new Anna M!) , so it was no fun pumping our way to Galicia, where we hauled out in Portosin.
We discovered that there were thirteen cracked ribs on the starboard bow and you could push the planking there in and out by hand. We screwed a sheet of plywood with plenty of gunk under it over the planks and sailed down to El Rompido in Andalucía, where there was a Polish shipwright by the name of Michalsky who made a great job over-winter of rebuilding the whole foreward section with new laminated ribs. In March we set sail for the Cape Verde Islands for Tony Whelan to film humpback whales, with Simon Berrow and the Irish Whale and Dolphin Group,- see The Return of the Humpback Whale (2003).

A trip to the West Indies followed, including penetrating some 40km up the Orinoco River in Venezuela. Back in Ireland, I settled down to taking dolphin and whale watching trips from Carrigaholt on the Shannon Estuary and from Sherkin Island in Co. Cork, but not before concluding that the Anna M needed a new deck, which she received at Liam Hegarty's yard on the Ilen River. There followed some good years, which included taking Nutan up the West coast of Ireland in order to make his photographic book The Islands of Ireland.
At last the old boat was actually earning a living for a few years, until in 2013, by now leaking fairly seriously, we decided to call it a day. Now in the happy receipt of a pension, Fiona and I sailed to Rome. We hauled out for the winter in Ostia, where I made some futile efforts to fix the leaks, and on the way back in 2014, found a birth in the Río Guadiana, between Spain and Portugal in the South.
 |
| CEO's difficult decision. |
It was back in Sherkin, in July 2015, that I started writing this blog, and an idea of what was in my head may be found in the September post of that year, On Sailing the Gannetsway, after a cruise to Scotland. We sailed back to the Guadiana then, gave the hull some more attention in Olhão, but on the way home in 2016, off Nazaré in Portugal, I took the difficult decision to put the boat ashore and get to the bottom of those leaks.
This involved taking the fuel tanks and engine out, also much of the cockpit, which was itself in poor shape. What we found was not pretty. There were many cracked ribs, and indeed in some places there was not a lot holding the planking to the keelson, especially under the cockpit where the worst leak had been. Only the water pressure was keeping them together, and when we trod on the planking, we could look through the gap between them to the ground!
After a few days cleaning out the filthy, oily bilge, I decided to take up with an old dream of a truly autonomous sailing boat, with some kind of electric drive. We launched into the project with enthusiasm, but.... Nearly a decade later I have a sound boat, but we are not much further ahead with the electric drive, all my available funds having gone into the renovation.
Alec Lammas and Stephen Colsman from Germany laminated many new frames, which we renailed with myself holding the dolly on the outside of the hull.
At that stage I was hoping to re-caulk the hull and vamoose, but concluded it would be difficult to do a good job. One thing led to another. Some of the steel floors, which hold the planking to the keel, were in poor shape. Fortunately Steve Morris, my old shipwright buddy from Kilrush (and New Zealand), came and made a whole new set of them.
 |
| Steve and Alec thinking about Alec's ideas for an electric motor. |
Steve also put in a couple of new planks that electrolysis had got at, but otherwise the acajou planks were in splendid shape. However we decided to rout out everything between them and glue in splines (strips of hardwood) between them, despite the immense labour involved. At one point, I had a Russian and a Ukrainian on the job, the Ukrainian having been wounded fighting the Russians. Poor bloke wasn't really fit for the job and didn't last, but Tole the Russian, who had fled the 'mafia state' years ago, became a great stalwart for the Anna M. He had come from the shores of Lake Baikal in Siberia, and lives at Nazaré in a boat that he built himself.
It was indeed lucky we had him, because routing out between the planks and gluing in the splines was an immense labour, along with sanding them off.
We could have gone for varnishing or painting those lovely planks, but I didn't fancy maintaining that in my old age, and decided to go for an epoxy skin....
Firstly two layers of sheet glassfibre with epoxy...
 |
| Lulu from Belfast icing the cake, |
then comes the icing on the cake, loads of epoxy fattened up with microballoons and colloidal silica,-
 |
and Tole (Anatole) on the job.
|
We ended up with two different batches, and colours, of microballoons...,
 |
| but it was all the same when she was painted! |
Meanwhile, a lot of work went on inside the hull, with the rebuilding of the cockpit and the cabin. I had my own ideas about all that, more with practicality in mind than anything else. Instead of huge cockpit underseat lockers, used mainly for carrying spare cans of diesel and other junk, and a hell-hole under the cockpit with very difficult access to the steering etc, we now have two quarter berths, a more roomy saloon, and a smaller cockpit (I saw breaking seas fill the old one on a couple of occasions) with a bridge deck for steering.

The beautiful but somewhat rickety old wheel has been replaced by a functional metal one which drives the new hydraulic steering, so one can steer with some shelter on the bridge-deck and actually see what is in front of the boat. One had to stand on the deck aft to do so previously. I was delighted with the new set-up on the passage from Nazar
é. The cockpit is also much better for fishing purposes! Indeed the whole cabin is more basic now, but there are less fancy bits of gear to go wrong, the galley is much more liveable, the new heads functional, and the forecastle, though it has lost the second loo, has a work-bench and more space.

John O'Mahoney came out to spend a few days aboard rewiring the boat, and on the mooring here in Moaña we have loads of power for domestic consumption. It would be great to pass the surplus into a battery bank for propulsion, but I do not imagine it would get us far! I am still hanging on to the original idea of using the power of the wind through the sails and the propellor for this. If tied in a marina of course it should not be a problem to recharge, and there is the possibility of a little diesel generator, but I tend to think the real answer will be some kind of fuel cells (hydrogen, methanol, ethanol, ammonia?) It's all of course more complex than Alec and I bargained for initially. Nonetheless, if we just wait for some top-down solution, we are likely to be waiting too long. God knows, oil could be three times the price it is now this time next year, and anyway I am an old man in a hurry. Eightieth birthday this coming November!
I have also spent way more than I should have on this boat, but what are old men for, if not for dreaming dreams? I dream of a whole new Christian civilisation, if only we can get through the coming few years,- a much gentler, slower and more organic civilisation, with everyone more self-reliant and responsible, with open and accountable institutions.
The EU for instance is vital, but must take subsidiarity much more seriously. We should be encouraging regionalism, Western, Central, Eastern and Mediterranean being obvious starting points. I am enthusiast for a Western region centred on the 'Celtic triangle' of Ireland, Brittany and Galicia, - by no means exclusively! Cracking this problem of how to power small craft seems a pretty good place to start,- we are talking of rebuilding the whole culture, but what could be more basic than getting around that old Bay of Biscay, as people did for ages before we found out what hydro-carbons could do,- and how destructive reliance on them could become!
So there is a bit of a race on, between someone coming along with a decent offer for the Anna M, and the other possibility of a partner coming along who wants to use her as a research, development and demonstration platform for alternative power. I have been trying in Ireland and Portugal, to no avail, and am now focussing on Galicia and Brittany.
Meanwhile, it was a huge relief to get the dear old boat sailing again, saying goodbye with grateful thanks to Nazaré. The passage to Moaña was splendid, and it was fantastic to find a mooring and a friendly welcome here. I get the impression that these are real sea people, who positively like to have a wooden schooner moored off their town!
 |
| Off Moaña |
I am writing this aboard off Moaña, hoping that I might find someone interested in this project, for instance at the Centro Tecnolóxico do Mar in Vigo or the University of Vigo's Centro de Investigación Marina. I am also pursuing interest in Brittany.
Very many people have been involved in the decade-long saga of getting this far. It was of course complicated by covid and all the mayhem that went with it, and also by myself undergoing treatment for prostate cancer. However I learnt a lot and made many friends, and looking back on it, it was all good experience. I'm dubious about thanking everyone by name, because there will be some left out. In fact I will save it for another post, dedicated especially to them all!
No comments:
Post a Comment
I welcome feedback.... Joe